Grove

Rest

Have you ever felt like you are just running 100 miles an hour to get everything accomplished in a day? Staying up late to finish laundry (me, last night) or getting up early to get lunches made?

Ever just get up early to have a few minutes of rest in the morning?

What? Did I just say getting up early to have rest in the morning?

I have an almost two year old. When he gets up (usually 7 am), I start running... and I run all day long. When he naps I usually continue doing things (like cleaning bathrooms or my schoolwork) that I don't like to do while he is awake. I don't typically get a lot of time to rest.

I also tend to want to stay in bed until the minute Hudson wakes up. I am never happy when this happens. Bryan meets with a group of guys from our small group on Tuesday mornings before work and got up SUPER early this morning. I laid in bed for about 30 min after he got up and felt the Lord prompting me to get up and spend some time in the word this morning... something I am ashamed to say that I haven't really taken the time to do a whole lot of lately. I have been too busy making sure my floors were clean, that laundry was done... and not taking the time to make sure my heart was in the right place.

I felt my spirit just exhale as I plunged into God's word this morning... or maybe I felt the Holy Spirit inhale into my soul... but I was suddenly calm. My house was quiet.... and I read about selfishness and pride. I read about giving up things in my life so that God can grow through me. Maybe that means giving up sleep, or giving up the agonizing feeling that I HAVE to get my house in order first thing in the morning. No one cares about that except me. My Jesus wants that time with me more, it is SO much more important for Hudson to have a momma grounded in the Lord than to have the dishes put away.

 One of the most important things that I learned from my mom was that it was important to have a quiet time with the Lord in the morning. Now, my mom is NOT a morning person, and I knew from a young age that I didn't want to disturb her until she was done drinking her coffee and reading her bible at the kitchen table. I don't remember, at all, what condition our house was in. I don't remember the laundry and I don't remember if the floors were clean... BUT I do remember having a mom who prayed for me and my brother every day and cared enough about her relationship with the Lord to spend those minutes early in the morning with Him.

I was so encouraged this morning that I wanted to share this with all of the other mommas out there who also feel like they're always running a hundred miles an hour. If you can, take some time to just hear what the Lord has to say to you today. Take those extra minutes to feel the calm that only HE can bring.

I also want to share a verse that I have written on my big chalk board in my kitchen. I am trying to memorize it... "To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power so that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in Him according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ." 2 Thess. 1:11-12

I know I have been kind of distant in the blogging world lately. My life is busy... whose isn't? And honestly blogging hasn't been my first priority. I am loving being the momma of a toddler. I have been trying to focus on spending more time with him because I know that this time is so short and I want to experience all of it. The Lord has recently tied up some loose ends with my work situation and as of last week I am officially a pediatric nurse at my same hospital... and I am enjoying every second of it. Other than that, nothing really new to report. I will try to do better to blog, but if my son wants me to come cuddle with him instead, I won't pass up that opportunity--ever.

Thank you to Blaire Perry for these amazing pictures!
More to come...


Have a very blessed Tuesday. I hope you find some of that rest today...

Comments

  1. This is so good, Jenna! You are so right...our kids don't remember the state of our house (cleanliness wise) but they remember our spirits being gentle and fun or frantic, exhausted and short.
    Thanks for the great reminder.

    And i LOVE your family photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts